CT( Computed Tomography ) Scan is a non – invasive procedure that uses advanced X-Rays to generate detailed cross-sectional images from multiple angles around the body. The advanced X-Ray enables to take images of the slices of the body, so doctors can look at the problem exact at the area of interest. CT Scan can be conducted on different parts of the body to make a detailed analysis of the abnormalities and medical conditions inside the body.
Though CT Scan is a non-invasive test procedure, sometimes Radiologist inject a dye or contrast agent into our vein, swallowed in the form of drink, passed into your bottom (enema) to enhance the clarity of the images of certain tissues and body’s internal structure, so as to bring diagnostic accuracy.
Diagnosis from CT Scan
CT scans can produce clear and in detail images of the internal organs, blood vessels, bones and soft tissues inside our body. CT Scan is used to :
- Diagnose stroke, the area of bleeding or blood vessel abnormalities
- Detect the exact location of a tumour, infection or blood clot.
- Detect internal injuries and bleeding.
- Detect diseases such as cancer or heart diseases
- Detect abnormalities such as enlarged lymph nodes or glands
- Monitor conditions by determining location size and shape of a tumour during cancer treatment.
- Guide further procedures such as Radiotherapy, Biopsy and Surgery.
- Diet: Do not eat or drink for 2-3 hours before the scan to help obtain clear scan images.
- Clothes: Loose fitting and comfortable clothes with no metal fasteners( zippers, snaps).
- Jewellery and other metal accessories to be removed before the scan to avoid interference with the image result.
- Important inputs from the Patient: Patients are required to inform the radiologist
- If you are or may be pregnant
- If you are Claustrophobic ( fear of closed surfaces) – You may require asking your physician for a mild sedative before the scan.
- If you are allergic to contrast agent.
- If you have been diagnosed with heart failures, diabetes or kidney problems.
- If you are allergic to any substance with Iodine.
- Scan Duration: At Medray Diagnostics, the total duration of MRI scan is 45-60 minutes
- Children may be given mild anaesthesia before the scan on the prescription of Physician.
- If there is a requirement, you may be given an injection of dye or contrast agent into your arm.
- After the scan, you may be asked to drink lots of fluids to get your kidney remove the dye from your body.