A muscle strain occurs when your muscle is overstretched. This usually occurs as a result of fatigue, overuse, or improper use of a muscle. Strains are most common in your lower back, neck, shoulder, and hamstring, which is the muscle behind your thigh, but they can happen in any muscle.
- Sudden onset of pain.
- Limited range of movement.
- Buising or discoloration.
- A “knotted-up” feeling.
- Muscle spasms.
You can decrease your chances of straining a muscle if you take some basic precautions, including the following:
- Try not to sit in one position for too long.
- Lift objects carefully.
- Maintain good posture when standing and sitting.
- Lose weight. (If you need to).
- Take precautions to prevent falls.
- Wear shoes that fit properly.